These are great muffins. I modified the recipe a bit from the original at https://cleanfooddirtygirl.com/for-when-youre-having-a-really-bad-day-plant-based-lemon-poppy-seed-muffins-oil-free/
- 4 large dates pitted and soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp heaping tablespoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup almond milk or non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seed ground
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and line your muffin tin with liners.
Add the almond milk and lemon juice to a small bowl. Mix and set aside for now.
Place the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground flax, and salt into your stand mixer or bowl and mix until combined.
Drain and discard the date water and transfer the dates to your blender (hi speed blender is best). Add the almond milk/lemon mixture, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla. Blend until very smooth.
Add the liquid to your dry ingredients.
Add the lemon zest and poppy seeds and mix on low (or by hand). Be careful not to over mix.
Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin liners. I used an ice cream scoop to make measuring easier.
Bake for 30 minutes and cool before munching!
The muffins will get more firm as they set. Also, oat flour is gluten free (usually) and these won't rise like wheat flour would. They are still tasty and the applesauce keeps them moist.